Editor’s Note: It’s a scary thing trying to buy jewelry for your girl, but do it right, and you’ll be a hero. Finding a good jeweler will save the day. Luckily, I found the best LA has to offer, and I’ve asked him to share some tips on buying your girl jewelry for Valentine’s Day.
6 Tips On Buying Her Jewelry For Valentine’s Day
1. Go hearts for the young, three stones for the more mature.
Girlfriends, fiances and wives come in all ages. A heart-shaped pendant is a classic and traditional Valentine’s Day gift that’s perfect for a teenager or mid 20’s girlfriend/fiance. However, just be aware that girlfriends or wives over 30 sometimes find the heart-shaped jewelry a little too “cute” or “girly” looking for their tastes. As a jeweler, I suggest buying three stone style jewelry like a “Three Stone” Diamond Pendant (as picture to the right). Three Stone Jewelry is usually styled with diamonds that graduate in size and each stone represents your “past, present and future.” There are many three stone diamond styles and they generally have good meaning.
2. Unless you plan on proposing on Valentine’s Day, don’t get a ring.
It’s better to go with a pendant necklace or earrings instead. Rings have serious connotations to them, and if you’re having a nice candlelit dinner and a jewelry box is presented, you may not want to give her the wrong impression too soon. Pendant necklaces usually come in a larger box than a ring box, so they tend to make your girl smile without giving her a heart attack by not getting the engagement ring she may have been hoping for on Valentine’s Day.
3. You can’t go wrong with diamond stud earrings.
If you’ve never bought jewelry for your girlfriend, but want a great choice and don’t know what to get, buy a pair of round diamond stud earrings within you budget. Diamond studs are a classic piece of jewelry every girl and woman needs for her wardrobe. They can be worn everyday and even on special occasions to liven up her outfits. A good pair of diamond stud earrings should start around $500 and go up depending on the quality and size. If you want your girl to wear your gift everyday, diamond studs are the way to go…you’ll be a stud too.
4. Get good deals by checking on review sites such as Google+ or Yelp to find local jewelers.
Buying jewelry online is great for those who don’t have time, but if you need some personal advice and service, going to a local jeweler is the way to go. Go to Yelp, CityGrid or Google+ and do a search for a local jeweler that will work with you and your budget. Not all jewelers have the same products, and it helps to get some ideas of what price points a jeweler deals with, whether it be low-end jewelry, mid-market or ultra luxury. There’s a jeweler for everybody, and online review sites can help you find the right one for you.
5. If you plan on getting an engagement ring, make sure you learn the 4 C’s of diamond quality.The cut, color, clarity and carat weight will influence your purchase price. Knowing the 4 C’s can help you make better diamond buying decisions.
6. Look for the “Jewelry or Diamond District” in big cities like LA/NYC for great deals.These areas have hundreds and sometimes thousands of wholesale dealers and you can get great pricing on jewelry that is well below traditional retail prices. Beware, some dealers are strictly wholesale, which means you must have a resale license or buy large quantities of jewelry pieces. However, if you find one of the many reputable dealers in the jewelry district to work with, it can save you lots of money on Valentine’s Day.
Good luck guys, and if you’re looking for jewelry in Los Angeles, feel free to come to INTA Gems & Diamonds. We’ll be happy to find you the right piece of jewelry for Valentine’s Day for the one you love!
Need a few additional tips? I got you! Order 10 Ways To Win A Girl’s Heart today.